This project had to be completed, and back in the hands of Mr. Bluhm before he left for his European tour on Oct. 2.  Well, he should have it tomorrow, Oct. 1.  That's cutting it a little closer than I would normally like, but it's just how it worked out.  Not to mention, and I don't normally like admitting to making mistakes, I had to set the neck twice!  What I mean is, I made the replacement neck, set the angle on the body, glued it up, and left it to cure overnight.  When I came back the next morning, I realized that under clamping pressure, the neck had slipped in the joint.  In the hundreds of neck resets that I've done, it's happened maybe two other times.  Only when the pressure is really on.  Only when the deadline is looming!  That's just the way it is sometimes.  So, I pulled the neck off early that morning, cleaned it up, double checked the fit, and glued it up again.  The second time was just right.  That put me a whole day behind though.  It was fine though.  It gave me some time to repair some loose braces, re-install the pickup correctly, open up the sound-hole a touch (i.e. Tony Rice), and really spend a few more hours of quality time making sure everything was JUST as I wanted it to be.  I finished it up, and boxed it up yesterday.  I did want to address one thing...the 'Boswell' on the peghead.  Tim and I went back and forth on this one.  He told me from the start to just put a Boswell logo on the peghead.  He's a supporter! Part of me didn't want to, but when I thought about where the guitar would be going, and the groups of people that would possibly see it, I realized it would be silly to not just do it.  All you Martin purists out there, sorry to ruffle your feathers, but lets just call this an isolated event!  Check out the pics below...

1 Comment