What is TruPlug?
WHAT DOES IT DO?
Simply put, the TruPlug™ system provides an alternative.
There are a lot of wonderful products available for acoustic guitar amplification, and with the TruPlug, customers now have the power to choose.
WHO IS IT FOR?
For the customer that has wanted to try a different method for acoustic amplification, but didn't want to have to sell their Taylor guitar to do so.
People form strong bonds with instruments, and now they can not only keep the Taylor they fell in love with in the store, but modify it to suit their individual tastes.
Use of the TruPlug system will not void your Taylor Warranty. No drilling or modifying is necessary. You can keep your Taylor Expression System, and reinstall later if selling the guitar becomes necessary.
Up until now, the only solution for Taylor owners wanting to try other forms of acoustic amplification was to sell your guitar and buy a new Taylor without a pickup, then have whatever pickup you want installed. By doing this, not only do you lose money on the sale, but then you still have to shop for a new guitar, buy the pickup, and have it installed. What about customers who don’t want to sell their guitar? With the TruPlug System, you can now keep the guitar you’ve already forged a bond with, and install the pickup of choice.
Incredibly easy installation (See below).
The perfect blend of form and functionality. It does what it’s supposed to do, and looks great while doing it.
The TruPlug doesn’t just plug the holes, it simultaneously inhibits the loss of sound and energy that would normally escape through the ports if left open. Also, it prevents possible damage to the finish and the wood that could incur if the holes were left open.
How to Install
Removal of the Expression System
The Expression System is a somewhat complicated and delicate system. We recommend taking your guitar to an authorized Taylor Warranty person for proper removal, especially if you intend to try and save it for potential later use.
The tough part of the removal consists of two stages:
- The top sensors...These are fragile, and need to be very gently pried loose from the top.
- The embedded humbucking coil...To truly remove this, the neck needs to be removed. To simplify things, it can be unplugged from the pre-amp, coiled up, and stuck to the side of the guitar cleanly. Also, if ones plan of removal is more permanent, the wire can be cut as close to the point where it enters the underside of the neck pocket.
The TruPlug installs in place of the Expression System preamp controls.
- Clean the inside wood surface with denatured alcohol, as well as the ledge surface of the TruPlug.
- Peel back the top layer on the VHB tape, align the plugs from the inside, and press into place. Be careful to support the side of the guitar from the outside when pressing the plugs into place to avoid cracking the wood.
The End Ports
Each Taylor has either a 9V or AA power supply. Installation is the same.
- Again, clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol, being very careful not to get any on the guitars finish.
- Peel back the top layer on the VHB tape, and press the EndPort firmly into place. Use the existing screws left from the Taylor power supply to ensure the final mechanical attachment.